Search results

Property sale 1919: lots 21-24 Fore Street south
Property sale 1919: lots 21-24 Fore Street south (20100233)
Details of Lots 21 â€" 24; in the vicinity of Fore Street, south side. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property Sale 1919: Lots 18 - 20 Fore Street north
Property Sale 1919: Lots 18 - 20 Fore Street north (20100232)
Details of Lots 18 â€" 20; in the vicinity of Fore Street, north side. The Post Office was a substantial property with 5 beds, stable and barn. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property sale 1919:Lots 14-17 Fore Street north
Property sale 1919:Lots 14-17 Fore Street north (20100231)
Details of Lots 14 â€" 17; in the vicinity of Fore Street, north side. Lot 14 is a large property now known as ??? (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property Sale 1919 : Lots 11-14 Fore Street north
Property Sale 1919 : Lots 11-14 Fore Street north (20100230)
Details of Lots 11 â€" 14; in the vicinity of Fore Street, north side. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property Sale 1919 : Lots 8–10 Fore Street north
Property Sale 1919 : Lots 8–10 Fore Street north (20100229)
Details of Lots 8 â€" 10; in the vicinity of Fore Street, north side. Lot 8 listed as Grampound Bridge so situated at the bottom of the village. The north side has the Town Hall and Church. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property sale 1919: Lots 4-7 Old Hill
Property sale 1919: Lots 4-7 Old Hill (20100228)
Details of Lots 4 â€" 7; in the vicinity of Old Hill. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property sale 1919 : signature of Jabez Pollard
Property sale 1919 : signature of Jabez Pollard (20100227)
Top of page shown in 0226 showing the signature of Jabez Pollard. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property sale 1919 :Lots 1 – 3 Old Hill
Property sale 1919 :Lots 1 – 3 Old Hill (20100226)
Details of Lots 1 â€" 3; in the vicinity of Old Hill. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property sale catalogue of July 1919
Property sale catalogue of July 1919 (20100225)
This collection consists of the scanned images of the pages of a property sale catalogue of July 1919, together with the maps that allow the location of each of the lots to be determined. The vendor was George Horace Johnstone Esq of Trewithin and it was held at 11.00 am on Saturday 12th July 1919 at the ‘Schools, Grampound’. Front cover of catalogue. This artefact was made available by Leonie Crowe (nee Spry). She believes that it came originally from the possessions of her Aunt and Uncle, Gertrude and Jabez Pollard who lived at Polman (opposite the Town Hall). The marginal notes were probably made by Jabez Pollard and he appears to have signed the top of the inside front page and several other pages. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Grampound School c1910
Grampound School c1910 (20102098)
Grampound School Horse and cart Driver and passenger Mr James transport to Truro (on Wednesdays) and St Austell (Saturdays) â€" market days Around 1910 (Paynter)
Grampound Football Club 1910
Grampound Football Club 1910 (20102040)
Knowles, H Hill, H Chalk, W Coade, M Knowles, J Teague, F Mitchell, W Devonshire, T Mannell, J Nancarrow, H Coade, C Hugh, L Croggon, L (Paynter)
Grampound Football Club 1909-10
Grampound Football Club 1909-10 (20102038)
If anyone can identify the people in this picture, please contact us. (Paynter)
Miners of South Terras Mine
Miners of South Terras Mine (20100160)
Miners at South Terras Mine c1926. South Terras Mine was located between St Stephen and Grampound Road. It was the only mine in Cornwall to produce uranium, although this mineral is widely distributed throughout the county. Madam Curie used South Terras uranium in her experiments. Standing on the far right is Harold Lander who later set up a radio business in St Stephen which he started by charging wireless accumulators. On the left of those seated on chairs is Martin Brenton who was the foreman of the mine; his daughter was a teacher at Grampound School. On the right of those seated on chairs is Mr Brenton Snr â€" father of Martin Brenton. Seated on the ground at the front third from the left is Mr Davey; he was the grandfather of Mrs Jeanette Cock, wife of Peter Cock who (2008) runs the Handman Service in the village. In the centre of those seated on chairs is Dr Marcel Leon Pochon. He was the most important person involved in the production of radium concentrates at South Terras. Born at Versailles of Swiss parents in 1889, he studied at the School of Industrial Physics & Chemistry in the Rue Llomond, Paris and graduated in 1906/7. In 1912 he left Paris to work with Jacques Danne at South Terras, returning to superintend the extraction of radium at the mine in 1920. The narrow-lode shallow underground operations at South Terras presented no unusual mining engineering challenges but the expertise demanded on surface in the extraction and concentration of radium was of paramount importance. For more details go to www.dangerouslaboratories.org/rcw3.html. (Hicks)
Town Hall c1912
Town Hall c1912 (20100157)
Grampound Town Hall â€" 1912. This is identical to 0148. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100150)
Fore Street looking west featuring a group of children â€" c1910. The large tree in the background left still (2008) stands above the phone box by Tim Lobb’s garage. (Hicks)
Town Hall Clock 1912
Town Hall Clock 1912 (20100148)
Town Hall clock pictured in 1912. The Vicar of Creed the Rev Charles Henry Vivian donated the clock to the village in 1894 as a farewell gift. This photograph appeared in a newspaper article to mark the clock’s centenary in December 1994. There used to be a door in this elevation of the Town Hall. (Hicks)
Town Hall and Polman's Store
Town Hall and Polman's Store (20100146)
Town Hall and grocer’s shop opposite showing some advertisements eg Lipton’s Tea - c1910 (similar to 0105). The Monkey Puzzle Tree on the left used to grow in the garden of Springfield (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100141)
Top of the hill in Fore Street looking east â€" c1910. The house on the left is Bonython. Until 1931 this was the home of Dr Barry who was replaced by Dr Stewart in that year. After Dr Barry’s departure the house was occupied by the Lewman family. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100140)
Fore Street looking east â€" c1910. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100139)
Fore Street looking west â€" c1910. Note the cobbles rather than a pavement and also the large Monkey Puzzle Tree on the Garden of Springfield (right). (Hicks)
Jack Allen at Garden Show c1910
Jack Allen at Garden Show c1910 (20100219)
Jack Allen exhibiting his vegetables at one of the garden shows held in the village in the earlier years of the 20th century. This may have been held on land belonging to Croggon's tannery. John Thomas Allen was born c1872 and was a life-long resident of Grampound. He worked at Croggon’s tannery and was the father of 2 sons and 3 daughters. (Allen)
Sunday School Excursion c1910
Sunday School Excursion c1910 (20100145)
Grampound Town Hall; perhaps on the day of a Sunday School excursion. Perhaps c1910. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100144)
Fore Street looking east towards Town Hall â€" c1910. The ivy-clad building on the left was Mr Miners’ bicycle shop; this building has now (2008) been incorporated into the Dolphin Inn. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100142)
Lower Fore Street â€" c1910. The Ivy-clad building on the right is Mr Miners’ Cycle Shop. The single storey building below Pendean (the third building below the cycle shop) was a Barbers Shop. (Hicks)
Bridge and Cottages c1910
Bridge and Cottages c1910 (20100116)
Old bridge and school and old cottages â€" c1910 (Hicks)
Grampound Association Football Club 1910
Grampound Association Football Club 1910 (20091029)
Those pictured are - Knowles, H Hill, H Chalk, W Coade, M Knowles, J Teague, F Mitchell, W Devonshire, T Mannell, J Nancarrow, H Coade, C Hugh, L Croggon, L. This is an identical picture to 20092040. (Paynter)
Creed Parish Church
Creed Parish Church (20091020)
Creed Parish Church viewed from Creed Lane. (Paynter)
Creed Church after Restoration
Creed Church after Restoration (20091019)
The interior of Creed Church after the 1904 restoration showing the chairs that replaced the old box pews. (Paynter)
Creed Church after Restoration
Creed Church after Restoration (20091018)
The interior of Creed Church after the 1904 restoration showing the chairs that have replaced the box pews. (Paynter)
Creed Church
Creed Church (20091013)
The Parish Church at Creed from the Creed Lane entrance. It would appear that this is after the restoration that took place in the early 20th century. (Paynter)
previous next