Search results

Grampound Football Club 1948 - Married Team
Grampound Football Club 1948 - Married Team (20102043)
Cundy, Ernie Olver, Donald Rowe, Charles Mannell, Norman Spry, Basil Phillips, Sid Cock, Harold Bawden, Kenneth Pascoe, William Tregunna, Harold Blake, Elvin Bennetts, Hedley Evacuee Mannell, Ian (Paynter)
Grampound Football Club 1948
Grampound Football Club 1948 (20102042)
Goodman, Frank Juleff, Clarence Mannell, Norman Spry, Basil Cundy, Roy Spry, Frank Pascoe, William Way, Frank Rowe, Ernie Bennetts, William Way, Derek Knowles, Cyril (Paynter)
Grampound Football Club 1940-41
Grampound Football Club 1940-41 (20102041)
Hooper, Dennis Keast, Sam Honey, Sydney Richards, Vernon Donovan Cock, Harold Chapman, Sydney Reynolds, Tommy Mannell, Norman Goyne, Leonard Coombe, Donald Paynter, William Rowe, Leonard Dunstone, Dagger Bolton, Sgt (Paynter)
Home Guard c1940s
Home Guard c1940s (20100159)
Home Guard members pictured at Grampound Road Village Hall â€" there are representatives from Home Guard forces of several villages in the area. Standing fourth from the left is Alfred Mannell, the sergeant of the Grampound Home Guard â€" see also 0073. Seated on the right is William James of Barteliver Farm Grampound. (Hicks)
Cyril Allen July 1948.
Cyril Allen July 1948. (20100222)
Cyril Allen (b. 1899) in a building at the old Limes Yard. July 1948. This is more likely to be Jack Allen, father of Dorothy Allen of Hawthorn, Pepo Lane. (Allen)
Jack and Cyril Allen at Manor Tannery
Jack and Cyril Allen at Manor Tannery (20100221)
Another postcard. Father, Cyril (r) (b.1899) and son Jack (l) Allen are scraping the skins after they have been soaked in lime in order to remove the hairs.Down at the oldest area of lime pits. (Allen)
Croggon's Tannery
Croggon's Tannery (20100220)
Croggon's tannery showing the bottom lime pits before they were covered. This is where the skins were soaked in a lime solution prior to tanning. In the centre is Ian Croggon, the father of William and John who last operated the tannery. Jack Allen is on the right. This was a postcard. (Allen)
Carnival Queen 1949
Carnival Queen 1949 (20100138)
Carnival Queen 1949 showing (left) Joan Priddle nee Mannell, (centre) Jean Hicks nee Juleff and (right) Joan Paull nee Richards. (Hicks)
Creed Rectory
Creed Rectory (20100125)
Creed Rectory. In the 1940s a Youth Club met in the house; table tennis was played in one of the front ground floor rooms shown. In 2008 the house was owned by William Croggon, formerly of the tannery. (Hicks)
Bowling Green c1948
Bowling Green c1948 (20100122)
A gathering at the Bowling Green c1947/8. The woman standing on the right is Mrs Stewart, wife of Dr Stewart. The man standing to her right is Ralph James of Barteliver Farm. (Hicks)
Pengarth House
Pengarth House (20100121)
Pengarth House. Just after WW2 the house was owned by Mrs Hall who was the daughter of the Bennetts who owned the slaughterhouse and tannery which stood at the foot of Tredinnick Hill. Mrs Hall later moved to Parc Dinsel on Bartliver Lane. (Hicks)
Grampound School 1949
Grampound School 1949 (20100117)
Grampound School - 1949 (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop (20100087)
Fore Street showing Dolphin Inn with Mrs Osborne’s shop next door. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. Mrs Osborne’s shop later became known as ‘Churchill’s Store’. (Hicks)
Fore Street and Dolphin Inn
Fore Street and Dolphin Inn (20100086)
Fore Street showing Dolphin Inn. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
WJ White - Grocer
WJ White - Grocer (20100085)
W J White Grocer and General Store. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Fore Street and Dolphin Inn
Fore Street and Dolphin Inn (20100083)
Fore Street showing Dolphin Inn. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Dr Stewart
Dr Stewart (20091032)
Dr Stewart was the long-time GP in Grampound and lived at Tremethick. He was also Chair of the Parish Council. If you know any more details about Dr Stewart, please contact us with your information. (Parish Council)
HMS Jason Certificate
HMS Jason Certificate (20091027)
A certificate presented by the Admiralty to the Parish of Grampound to commemorate their adoption of HMS Jason during War Ship Week in November/December 1941. (Parish Council)
Home Guard 1945
Home Guard 1945 (20090111)
Photograph of Grampound home guard. (Hicks)
Indian army at Grampound
Indian army at Grampound (20099003)
Indian contingent of the Army Service Corps with baggage ponies and mules. A familiar sight in Grampound during war time exercises in World War II. This photo was taken by Dr Stewart from the Bosillion Lane junction at the top of Fore Street. (Dr Stewart)
Dolphin Inn WW2
Dolphin Inn WW2 (20090084)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn with motorcycles parked outside. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. The motorcycles have shaded headlights as required by the blackout regulations. (Hicks)
Whites and Miners shops
Whites and Miners shops (20090082)
Fore Street showing W J White's General Store and Miners' Cycle Shop with the Dolphin in the background. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. W J White's closed in the 1960s and Miners' in the 1970s. (Hicks)
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s (20090081)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn; the shop uphill from the Dolphin was also a General Store run by Mrs Osborne. Her son, John Osborne, had a coal round and his yard was located on the site now occupied by the closed petrol station near to the bridge. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and stores
Dolphin Inn and stores (20090080)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn, Mr Miners' cycle shop and W J White, Grocer and General Stores, with the Town Hall in background. This was probably taken during World War 2. Mr Miners also ran the blacksmiths forge that was then located in what is now (2008) Tim Lobb's garage. The Miners family also ran a forge on some days of the week at Polmassick. (Hicks)
Grampound home guard
Grampound home guard (20090073)
Grampound Home Guard 1940. They were pictured on the recreation ground with the sergeant, Alfred Mannell, on the left. (Hicks)
Girl Guides 1940s
Girl Guides 1940s (20090060)
Girl Guides in the late 1940s. (Hicks)
Carnival Queen 1949
Carnival Queen 1949 (20090054)
The Carnival Queen 1949. The Queen is Jean Juleff (now Hicks) and the attendants are (left) Joan Mannell and (right) Joan Richards. Both the Mannell and the Richards families occupied Glen View, the house that stands in the fork on Old Hill, at different times. (Hicks)
Village choir 1940s
Village choir 1940s (20090053)
The village choir, consisting mainly of children, flourished until the late 1940s. This photo dates from the 1940s and Miss Richards, who ran the choir, is on the left (Hicks)
Grampound football team 1948
Grampound football team 1948 (20090046)
Grampound football team - 1948. Back row (from left) Ernie Cundie, Donald Olver, Charlie Rowe, Norman Mannell, Basil Spry, Sid Phillips referee. Middle row are (from left) Harold Cox and Kenneth Borden. Front row are (from left) William Pascoe, Harold Tregunna, Elvin Blake, Hedley Bennett, unknown. The mascot with the ball (front) is Ian Mannell. (Tregunna)
previous