Search results

Grampound School c1910
Grampound School c1910 (20102098)
Grampound School Horse and cart Driver and passenger Mr James transport to Truro (on Wednesdays) and St Austell (Saturdays) â€" market days Around 1910 (Paynter)
School, Cottages and Old Bridge c1895
School, Cottages and Old Bridge c1895 (20100134)
School, cottages and old bridge c1895. The stone resting against the wall of the far cottage was placed there to keep horses and carts away from the wall of the house. (Hicks)
Toll House and Bridge c1900
Toll House and Bridge c1900 (20100132)
Newspaper cutting â€" Toll House and bridge â€" c1900s. The school and allotments are on the right; just out of shot in the right foreground was a blacksmith’s shop (at the foot of Old Hill). (Hicks)
Notes on Grampound Bridge
Notes on Grampound Bridge (20100131)
Notes on Grampound bridge â€" date unknown. (Hicks)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20100129)
Old bridge looking east. The gatehouse, a former toll booth, is on the left and the allotments are on the right. (Hicks)
Grampound School c1930s
Grampound School c1930s (20100119)
Pupils at Grampound School c 1930s; this is a better version of 0076. The girl in the centre of the front row is Vera Bragg, later Mrs Webb. (Hicks)
Grampound School c1920s
Grampound School c1920s (20100118)
Pupils at Grampound School â€" c1920s; this is a better version of 0075. (Hicks)
Grampound School 1949
Grampound School 1949 (20100117)
Grampound School - 1949 (Hicks)
Bridge and Cottages c1910
Bridge and Cottages c1910 (20100116)
Old bridge and school and old cottages â€" c1910 (Hicks)
R Bennett and Son Tannery
R Bennett and Son Tannery (20100115)
R Bennett and Son tannery, date unknown. The Nancarrow family previously owned this tannery. It stood where Fal Valley Pets now is (2008) - opposite the junction of Old Hill and the A390. The curing pits were in the open yard in front of the present buildings. It was also a slaughterhouse and, unlike Croggons, dealt with sheep skins as well as cow hides. Jack Juleff worked for this tannery for fifty years; Jack was one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (Hicks)
Dunn's Garage Garden
Dunn's Garage Garden (20100104)
The garden at Dunn’s garage; this disappeared when the road widening began in 1968. (Hicks)
Grampound Bridge 1957
Grampound Bridge 1957 (20091001)
Bottom of Fore Street looking west in 1957, prior to the demolition of the cottages on the right. The board advertising camping referred to the summer camp site owned by the Richards family and now the site of a row of large houses on the left of Mill Lane as one leaves Fore Street. (Paynter)
Sketch Map of Penbetha
Sketch Map of Penbetha (20090213)
Sketch map drawn by Mary Oliver showing Penbetha; taken from the Probus tithe map of 1840. This is the area currently (2008) occupied by Fal Valley Pets. It was formerly a Tan Yard owned by the Bennett family and before that by the Nancarrow family. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090209)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 1), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Grampound with Creed School
Grampound with Creed School (20090197)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Grampound with Creed Junior and Infants School built in 1869. The present large window under the gabled section was probably installed c1900 to replace a smaller one. The school stands on the line of the road leading to the earlier bridge over the River Fal that was replaced in 1834; ‘Old Hill’ was then the main road to Truro. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090208)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 2), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Map of 1831
Map of 1831 (20090200)
Tracing of a map of Grampound made by Mary Oliver. The original map was drawn by H St Aubyn in 1831 and it shows the ownership/lessees of property at that time. This shows the Probus side of the village; Old Hill was still then the main road to Truro and the bridge shown is the pre-1834 one. (Oliver)
Truro Horse Bus
Truro Horse Bus (20090172)
Will Croggon with the Truro horse bus, called The Magnet, outside the village school. This photograph was probably taken before c1900 when the windows in the school were enlarged by being heightened. See 20090156 for more details. Photographer H E Julyan. (Oliver)
Bridge 19th Century
Bridge 19th Century (20090107)
School and old bridge in the late 19th century. Note the smaller school window than now. It is thought the larger window was installed around 1900. The cottages, removed for road widening in the 1960s (20090106), are seen on the right and the angle of this photo shows the limited width of the road and bridge at this point. Old Hill can be seen in the distance. (Hicks)
Site of cleared cottages
Site of cleared cottages (20090106)
The site of the, now closed, petrol station in the late 1960s when demolition in preparation for the bridge widening had occurred. On the left of the foreground used to stand three cottages and on the right, the coal yard. (Hicks)
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s (20090081)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn; the shop uphill from the Dolphin was also a General Store run by Mrs Osborne. Her son, John Osborne, had a coal round and his yard was located on the site now occupied by the closed petrol station near to the bridge. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Grampound garage 1960s
Grampound garage 1960s (20090071)
The Grampound garage in the 1960s. Mrs Dunn, then the owner, is on the right with two customers. The pumps were right by the side of the, already narrow, old bridge. When vehicles stopped to fill up the road was effectively reduced to a single lane. (Hicks)
Garage on bridge 1963
Garage on bridge 1963 (20090070)
The garage, on the right by the mini, and the old bridge in the snow in 1963. The Dunn family owned the garage for many years; they then sold it in the mid 1960s to the Bostocks. (Hicks)
Old bridge and Toll House
Old bridge and Toll House (20090059)
Old Bridge and Toll House soon before rebuilding in 1968. In the foreground on the left were five allotments and the building in the middle distance on the left was a blacksmiths forge; this stood at the junction of the A390 with Old Hill. (Hicks)
Mr Dunn's bungalow
Mr Dunn's bungalow (20090051)
The bungalow at the garage showing the garden. This was before the bridge was rebuilt in 1969; the wall in the foreground stood there between 1834 and 1969. The river is to the left. Many of the flowers are dahlias for which Mr Dunn, who then owned the garage, was well known. His greenhouse is in the background. (Hicks)
Cattle near old bridge
Cattle near old bridge (20090030)
Cattle grazing near old bridge at the bottom of Old Hill; Old Hill and blacksmith in the background (Croggon)
Toll House
Toll House (20090008)
Toll House at west end of Grampound at junction of Tredinnick Hill and A390 looking east to the village. (Paynter)
Fore street with cart
Fore street with cart (20090018)
Fore Street with cart and people showing old bridge and school (Croggon)
previous