Search results

WRVS c1955
WRVS c1955 (20100151)
The WRVS pictured doing some outdoor cooking â€" c 1955. This is probably in the recreation ground outside the old Village Hall. From the left the figures are (1) Mrs Cundy (daughter-in-law of Mr Cundy, the blacksmith of Old Hill), (2) Mrs Broom of ‘Vendor’ on Old Hill, (3) Mrs Juleff (daughter-in-law of Eva Juleff of ‘Trengoffe’ on Old Hill, (4) Mrs James of Bartliver and (5) Mrs Hawkesworth who occupied ‘Trengoffe’ on Old Hill after Eva Juleff. (Hicks)
Toll House and Bridge c1900
Toll House and Bridge c1900 (20100132)
Newspaper cutting â€" Toll House and bridge â€" c1900s. The school and allotments are on the right; just out of shot in the right foreground was a blacksmith’s shop (at the foot of Old Hill). (Hicks)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20100129)
Old bridge looking east. The gatehouse, a former toll booth, is on the left and the allotments are on the right. (Hicks)
R Bennett and Son Tannery
R Bennett and Son Tannery (20100115)
R Bennett and Son tannery, date unknown. The Nancarrow family previously owned this tannery. It stood where Fal Valley Pets now is (2008) - opposite the junction of Old Hill and the A390. The curing pits were in the open yard in front of the present buildings. It was also a slaughterhouse and, unlike Croggons, dealt with sheep skins as well as cow hides. Jack Juleff worked for this tannery for fifty years; Jack was one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (Hicks)
Trengoffe, Old Hill
Trengoffe, Old Hill (20095013)
'Trengoffe' on Old Hill. An original drawing by Mary Oliver whose own house was opposite. Trengoffe is one of the comparatively few houses in the village to still have a thatched roof. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090209)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 1), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Grampound with Creed School
Grampound with Creed School (20090197)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Grampound with Creed Junior and Infants School built in 1869. The present large window under the gabled section was probably installed c1900 to replace a smaller one. The school stands on the line of the road leading to the earlier bridge over the River Fal that was replaced in 1834; ‘Old Hill’ was then the main road to Truro. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090208)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 2), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Map of 1831
Map of 1831 (20090200)
Tracing of a map of Grampound made by Mary Oliver. The original map was drawn by H St Aubyn in 1831 and it shows the ownership/lessees of property at that time. This shows the Probus side of the village; Old Hill was still then the main road to Truro and the bridge shown is the pre-1834 one. (Oliver)
Bowls players 1925
Bowls players 1925 (20090110)
This was at the site of the old bowling green, Quarry Parc in Creed Lane where the club was located between 1921and 1927. The Bowling Club moved to its present home in 1927. On the left in the back row stands Mr Ralph James; he had been affected by polio and went everywhere by horse. The third from the right in the back row (wearing flat cap) is Mr Cundy, whose blacksmith's forge was located at the foot of Old Hill. (Hicks)
Bridge 19th Century
Bridge 19th Century (20090107)
School and old bridge in the late 19th century. Note the smaller school window than now. It is thought the larger window was installed around 1900. The cottages, removed for road widening in the 1960s (20090106), are seen on the right and the angle of this photo shows the limited width of the road and bridge at this point. Old Hill can be seen in the distance. (Hicks)
Bowling club 1950
Bowling club 1950 (20090092)
The Bowling Club c1950. The person on the front left is Lewis Mannell of Glen View on Old Hill. (Hicks)
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934 (20090078)
Shop of E M Bulley in Fore Street, close to the school, in 1934. Mrs Bulley ran the shop; she was later re-married â€" to Fred Strongman. A girl called Mary Hoskins worked in the shop; she later married George Juleff, one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (see also 20090079) (Hicks)
Town Hall Pre-1894
Town Hall Pre-1894 (20090077)
Grampound Town Hall pre-1894 when the clock was replaced as a result of a donation by the Rev Charles Henry Vivian. A plaque noting this gift is now attached to this elevation. Note the oil lamp outside the Church. The last man to fill this was Charles Knowles who is thought to have lived at Myrtle Cottage on Old Hill. (Hicks)
Old bridge and Toll House
Old bridge and Toll House (20090059)
Old Bridge and Toll House soon before rebuilding in 1968. In the foreground on the left were five allotments and the building in the middle distance on the left was a blacksmiths forge; this stood at the junction of the A390 with Old Hill. (Hicks)
Carnival Queen 1949
Carnival Queen 1949 (20090054)
The Carnival Queen 1949. The Queen is Jean Juleff (now Hicks) and the attendants are (left) Joan Mannell and (right) Joan Richards. Both the Mannell and the Richards families occupied Glen View, the house that stands in the fork on Old Hill, at different times. (Hicks)
Cattle near old bridge
Cattle near old bridge (20090030)
Cattle grazing near old bridge at the bottom of Old Hill; Old Hill and blacksmith in the background (Croggon)
Bermondsey and Old Hill
Bermondsey and Old Hill (20090029)
Bermondsey and Old Hill viewed from main road. The Toll house can be seen on the right by the horse and cart. (Croggon)
Grampound allotments
Grampound allotments (20090007)
Grampound allotments. Old Hill rising in background. Allotments lost to Cornwall County Council A390 road widening scheme. (Paynter)
Old Smithy
Old Smithy (20090006)
Old Smithy blacksmith's shop. Blacksmith holding rear leg of horse fitting shoe believed to be Mr Bert Lundy. (Paynter)
Bottom of Old Hill
Bottom of Old Hill (20090005)
Bottom of Old Hill looking west. (Paynter)
Old Hill looking east
Old Hill looking east (20090004)
Old Hill looking east towards junction with A390. (Paynter)
Old Hill looking east
Old Hill looking east (20090003)
Old Hill looking east towards junction with A390. (Paynter)
Old Hill junction
Old Hill junction (20090002)
Old Hill junction with Barteliver Hill looking west. (Paynter)
Top of Old Hill
Top of Old Hill (20090001)
Top of Old Hill where it runs into the old Roman Road. (Paynter)
previous