Search results

Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120432)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 â€" at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. (Stovell)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20115019)
Bermondsey, Old Bridge, Old Smithy etc â€" date unknown. (Hicks)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939 (20110364)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939. Pictured l to r Gerald Goyne, Bill Knowles, Clarence Landry, Richard Teague, George Rowe, Richard Pascoe. (Rowe)
Jack and Martha Allen
Jack and Martha Allen (20110326)
Jack and Martha Allen. See also Allen collection. (Spry)
Jack Allen
Jack Allen (20110325)
Jack Allen with his daughter Dorothy who lived in Hawthorne, Pepo Lane until her death in 2010. See also Allen collection. (Spry)
Oak Harvesting
Oak Harvesting (20110359)
This photo was donated by Geoff Jones, who is a member of the Knowles family of Grampound. It is probably late 19th or early 20th century and the location is thought to be Bosillion Lane. It shows coppiced oak being harvested prior to having its bark stripped to make tanning liquor for the Manor Tannery. (Jones/Knowles)
Manor Tannery
Manor Tannery (20112246)
Tannery Photo taken by T P Roskrow, press photographer, Highertown, Truro (Paynter)
Manor Tannery
Manor Tannery (20112245)
Tannery Photo taken by Horace Bleads, photographer, Birmingham (Paynter)
Tom Edwards 1943
Tom Edwards 1943 (20112234)
Tom Edwards, father of George Edwards, November 1943, managed the tannery with Mrs Croggan during the war (Paynter)
Tom Edwards
Tom Edwards (20112222)
Tom Edwards, back door Trenance, going to work at Tannery Edwards, Tom (Paynter)
Old Hill 1960s
Old Hill 1960s (20112187)
Old Hill 1960s or 1970s Wool shed on the right used by the Fal Valley Tannery to store sheep hides prior to processing. This tannery was once owned by the Nancarrow family who sold it to the Bennetts in the 1890s. The house 'Westering' was built on the site of the wool shed in the 1980s or 1990s. Glenview still stands and is on the right. (Paynter)
Town Hall Postcard
Town Hall Postcard (20102115)
Postcard town hall (Paynter)
Mr Tetley's Vintage Car
Mr Tetley's Vintage Car (20102114)
Vintage open top car (looks like a Bentley Speed Six) owned by Mr Tetley outside Manor House Late 1990s or early 2000s (Paynter)
Pengarth Guest House
Pengarth Guest House (20102113)
Pengarth Guest House On Truro road out of village on right hand side up the hill Owned by Mrs Hall, also owner of Bennetts at that time (Paynter)
Lorry 99 FCV
Lorry 99 FCV (20102103)
Lorry with driver in field 99 FCV Mid 1970s Juleff, Jack â€" father of Jean Hicks â€" worked at Bennetts yard Photo taken from Golden looking towards Probus (Paynter)
Grampound Carnival 1980
Grampound Carnival 1980 (20102066)
Grampound Carnival 1980 Carnival Queen and Queen’s attendants Crowe, Angela Chenoweth, Melissa Paynter, Allison Crown made of Croggon’s leather (Paynter)
Jack Allen with Finished Leather
Jack Allen with Finished Leather (20100224)
Jack Allen hanging up finished leather to dry. A copy of this photograph owned by the late Dorothy Allen states 'Cyril Allen' on the back in her handwriting ( comment by Liz Fisher 2015) (Allen)
Jack and Cyril Allen at Croggon's Tannery
Jack and Cyril Allen at Croggon's Tannery (20100223)
Father Cyril and son Jack Allen at the Manor Tannery. (Allen)
Cyril Allen July 1948.
Cyril Allen July 1948. (20100222)
Cyril Allen (b. 1899) in a building at the old Limes Yard. July 1948. This is more likely to be Jack Allen, father of Dorothy Allen of Hawthorn, Pepo Lane. (Allen)
Jack and Cyril Allen at Manor Tannery
Jack and Cyril Allen at Manor Tannery (20100221)
Another postcard. Father, Cyril (r) (b.1899) and son Jack (l) Allen are scraping the skins after they have been soaked in lime in order to remove the hairs.Down at the oldest area of lime pits. (Allen)
Croggon's Tannery
Croggon's Tannery (20100220)
Croggon's tannery showing the bottom lime pits before they were covered. This is where the skins were soaked in a lime solution prior to tanning. In the centre is Ian Croggon, the father of William and John who last operated the tannery. Jack Allen is on the right. This was a postcard. (Allen)
Jack Allen at Garden Show c1910
Jack Allen at Garden Show c1910 (20100219)
Jack Allen exhibiting his vegetables at one of the garden shows held in the village in the earlier years of the 20th century. This may have been held on land belonging to Croggon's tannery. John Thomas Allen was born c1872 and was a life-long resident of Grampound. He worked at Croggon’s tannery and was the father of 2 sons and 3 daughters. (Allen)
Creed Rectory
Creed Rectory (20100125)
Creed Rectory. In the 1940s a Youth Club met in the house; table tennis was played in one of the front ground floor rooms shown. In 2008 the house was owned by William Croggon, formerly of the tannery. (Hicks)
Claude and Donald Mannell
Claude and Donald Mannell (20100123)
Claude Mannell and Donald Mannell at Croggon's top yard - date unknown. (Hicks)
Pengarth House
Pengarth House (20100121)
Pengarth House. Just after WW2 the house was owned by Mrs Hall who was the daughter of the Bennetts who owned the slaughterhouse and tannery which stood at the foot of Tredinnick Hill. Mrs Hall later moved to Parc Dinsel on Bartliver Lane. (Hicks)
R Bennett and Son Tannery
R Bennett and Son Tannery (20100115)
R Bennett and Son tannery, date unknown. The Nancarrow family previously owned this tannery. It stood where Fal Valley Pets now is (2008) - opposite the junction of Old Hill and the A390. The curing pits were in the open yard in front of the present buildings. It was also a slaughterhouse and, unlike Croggons, dealt with sheep skins as well as cow hides. Jack Juleff worked for this tannery for fifty years; Jack was one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (Hicks)
William Rawson Croggon MA (Cantab)
William Rawson Croggon MA (Cantab) (20091042)
William Croggon is a member of the family that owned and operated the Manor Tannery and he was Chairman of the Parish Council 1979 - 1985. (Parish Council)
Top of Fore Street
Top of Fore Street (20091012)
Top of Fore Street looking west. The Post Office, in 2009 Hollies Store and Post Office, can be seen on the right. Note the lower level of the road than now on the left. Pedestrians seem untroubled by the possibility of road traffic! The Manor House and Croggon's Tannery office can be seen on the left a little down the hill. (Paynter)
Sketch Map of Penbetha
Sketch Map of Penbetha (20090213)
Sketch map drawn by Mary Oliver showing Penbetha; taken from the Probus tithe map of 1840. This is the area currently (2008) occupied by Fal Valley Pets. It was formerly a Tan Yard owned by the Bennett family and before that by the Nancarrow family. (Oliver)
The curragh 'St Brendan'
The curragh 'St Brendan' (20090198)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Croggon’s Tannery provided the skins to make Tim Severin’s curragh, ‘St Brendan’, which successfully crossed the Atlantic in 1976. Severin undertook the journey to prove that St Brendan could have crossed the ocean a thousand years before Colombus in such a craft. (Oliver)
previous next