Nantellan House c2010

Picture of Nantellan House c2010
view full size

Nantellan Manor/Mansion/House of the Gentry is closely adjacent and was first mentioned in 1337 as part of Tybesta. Tybesta was a Saxon Manor that was taken over by William the Conqueror and was one of sixteen Royal Manors in Cornwall that he granted to his half brother Robert, Earl of Mortain. It is listed in the Domesday Book of 1087 when it was clearly a large and prosperous holding. Nantellan House was rebuilt on the ruins of the original in 1551 by John Vincent, on his marriage to Johane Nankivell. The present house was added to in 1748. A new South front which houses the three front rooms, lounge, dining room and drawing room was built in 1795. The (snug/study) at the back of the house is thought to be the original living room.