Search results

The Union Banner - reverse
The Union Banner - reverse (20159046)
The Grampound Union Society banner. A silk, double sided banner dated approx. 1832. Made by George Tutill,an expert banner maker in London. For more information pick up a leaflet in the Heritage Centre. The banner is in poor condition and cannot be viewed. The front is also shown on the photo archive. (Fisher)
Union banner - front
Union banner - front (20159045)
The Grampound Union Society banner. A silk, double sided banner dated approx. 1832. Made by George Tutill,an expert banner maker in London. For more information pick up a leaflet in the Heritage Centre. The banner is in poor condition and cannot be viewed. The reverse is also shown on the photo archive. (Fisher)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding (20149010)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding at Creed Church 6th August 1930. Donated by their daughter Jennifer in 2012. (Jennifer Sandy)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding (20149007)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding party at Trevail 6th August 1930 donated by their daughter Jennifer in 2012. (Jennifer Sandy)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding (20149006)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding party at Trevail, 6th August 1930. Donated by their daughter Jennifer in 2012. (Jennifer Sandy)
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding
Sidney and Joyce Allen wedding (20149002)
Sidney and Joyce Allen, wedding party at Trevail, Fore Street 6th August 1930. Donated by their daughter Jennifer in 2012. (Jennifer Sandy)
Tannery Hand Tools
Tannery Hand Tools (20130525)
A collection of hand tools used in the Manor Tannery at Grampound. The Manor Tannery opened in 1845 and was operated by the Croggon family until its final closure in 2002. The Grampound with Creed Heritage Centre, housed in the old Town Hall building, holds a collection of these tools. (GWCHP Collection)
Grampound School 1935
Grampound School 1935 (20120384)
Silver Jubilee year King George V and Queen Mary (Crowe)
Grampound Bowls Club
Grampound Bowls Club (20120383)
Date unsure but possibly inter-war or just post WW2.The names include - ? Landry, Tommy Daniel, Ian Croggon, Wally Rowe, Jack Bickle, Dick Ellis, (Thunder) Jack Scholar, Fred Mannell, Alfred Mannell. (Crowe)
Grampound children
Grampound children (20120382)
Possibly on Empire Day or George V Silver Jubilee (Crowe)
Grampound children
Grampound children (20120381)
Possibly on Empire Day or George V Silver Jubilee (Crowe)
Manor Tannery before WW2
Manor Tannery before WW2 (20120434)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 â€" at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. A photo from pre-WW2. (Stovell)
Brass Band
Brass Band (20115016)
Brass Band â€" location and date unknown but possible links to Grampound. (Hicks)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939 (20110364)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939. Pictured l to r Gerald Goyne, Bill Knowles, Clarence Landry, Richard Teague, George Rowe, Richard Pascoe. (Rowe)
Grampound's First Carnival Queen 1937
Grampound's First Carnival Queen 1937 (20110361)
Grampound’s First Carnival Queen 1937 was Pauline Ellis (now Whetter). This photo was kindly made available by Mrs Pauline Whetter. (Whetter)
Grampound's First Carnival Queen 1937
Grampound's First Carnival Queen 1937 (20110360)
Grampound’s First Carnival Queen 1937 was Pauline Ellis (now Whetter). Pauline’s attendants were Stella Mannell (now Juleff) and Phyllis Scholar (now deceased). Anne Stewart (daughter of Dr Stewart and now deceased) presented the flowers. This photo was kindly made available by Mrs Pauline Whetter. (Whetter)
Leonard and daughter Florence Spry at Radnor House
Leonard and daughter Florence Spry at Radnor House (20110327)
Leonard and daughter Florence Spry at Radnor House. (Spry)
Jack and Martha Allen
Jack and Martha Allen (20110326)
Jack and Martha Allen. See also Allen collection. (Spry)
Jack Allen
Jack Allen (20110325)
Jack Allen with his daughter Dorothy who lived in Hawthorne, Pepo Lane until her death in 2010. See also Allen collection. (Spry)
Frank Spry and Football team
Frank Spry and Football team (20110322)
Frank Spry is centre of front row â€" possibly 1920s. (Spry)
Grampound road-workers
Grampound road-workers (20110358)
Road gang near Grampound, probably 1920s or 1930s. (Moore)
Grampound School
Grampound School (20110356)
Grampound School, probably 1920s. On the left is the Headmaster ‘Boss’ Harding. (Moore)
Grampound School Football Team
Grampound School Football Team (20110355)
Grampound School football team, probably 1920s. On the right is the Headmaster ‘Boss’ Harding. The tall boy in the back row on the right is thought to be a member of the Mannell family. (Moore)
The Honey Sisters
The Honey Sisters (20110354)
The Honey sisters â€" thought to be Bessie, Flo and Alice (Moore)
Grampound Home Guard 1939 - 45
Grampound Home Guard 1939 - 45 (20102089)
Grampound Home Guard Company 1939-1945 Mannell, D Cundy, B Brown, A Paynter, R Miners, S Williams, G Mitchell, D Juleff, J Juleff, W Blewett, W John, P Juleff, F Blewett, J Bragg, C Richards, V Nettle, D Penna, M Phillips, J Scholar, F Ford, C Ford, E Allen, C Banks, T James, W T Roskruge, E P Landry, R J Mannell, A Ellis, D Tyzzer, N Olver, E Blake, E (Paynter)
Grampound Peace Day 1935
Grampound Peace Day 1935 (20102067)
Grampound Peace Day 1935 King George V Silver Jubilee Matthews, Geoffrey Paynter, Thomas Miners, Floda Paynter, Floda Matthews, Alice Paynter, Alice Paynter, Mary Louisa Mannell, Margaret Bennett, Billy Kemp, Tommy Village Milkman and Jobman (Paynter)
Coombe Band pre-1939
Coombe Band pre-1939 (20100161)
Coombe Band pre 1939. The third, fourth and fifth from the right in the middle row are the Richards brothers of Spring Fram. At the back on the right is Mr Lannon, the Coombe Postmaster. Seated on the left is Mr Melville Jenkin and seated centre is Mr Jenkin Snr, the conductor. (Hicks)
Miners of South Terras Mine
Miners of South Terras Mine (20100160)
Miners at South Terras Mine c1926. South Terras Mine was located between St Stephen and Grampound Road. It was the only mine in Cornwall to produce uranium, although this mineral is widely distributed throughout the county. Madam Curie used South Terras uranium in her experiments. Standing on the far right is Harold Lander who later set up a radio business in St Stephen which he started by charging wireless accumulators. On the left of those seated on chairs is Martin Brenton who was the foreman of the mine; his daughter was a teacher at Grampound School. On the right of those seated on chairs is Mr Brenton Snr â€" father of Martin Brenton. Seated on the ground at the front third from the left is Mr Davey; he was the grandfather of Mrs Jeanette Cock, wife of Peter Cock who (2008) runs the Handman Service in the village. In the centre of those seated on chairs is Dr Marcel Leon Pochon. He was the most important person involved in the production of radium concentrates at South Terras. Born at Versailles of Swiss parents in 1889, he studied at the School of Industrial Physics & Chemistry in the Rue Llomond, Paris and graduated in 1906/7. In 1912 he left Paris to work with Jacques Danne at South Terras, returning to superintend the extraction of radium at the mine in 1920. The narrow-lode shallow underground operations at South Terras presented no unusual mining engineering challenges but the expertise demanded on surface in the extraction and concentration of radium was of paramount importance. For more details go to www.dangerouslaboratories.org/rcw3.html. (Hicks)
Croggon's Tannery
Croggon's Tannery (20100220)
Croggon's tannery showing the bottom lime pits before they were covered. This is where the skins were soaked in a lime solution prior to tanning. In the centre is Ian Croggon, the father of William and John who last operated the tannery. Jack Allen is on the right. This was a postcard. (Allen)
Lower Fore Street c 1920s/30s
Lower Fore Street c 1920s/30s (20100143)
Lower Fore Street â€" possibly inter-war. The white house in the foreground is Trevail and below that Pendene. The single storey extension on the side of Pendene was a Barber’s Shop; it has now been demolished. A Chapel used to stand behind these houses; it was also used as a meeting place for the British Legion. (Hicks)
next