Search results

Carnival Queen Crown
Carnival Queen Crown (20130536)
The carnival queen crown photographed in 1957, made by Bert Cundie, the last blacksmith operating from Bermondsey and from Croggan tannery leather. Whereabouts currently unknown. (Paramor)
Bermondsey
Bermondsey (20120399)
Bermondsey, ie bottom of Old Hill, looking uphill. Date unknown but probably late 19th or early 20th century. This was a postcard but it bears no stamp or postmark. (Crowe)
Bermondsey, Grampound
Bermondsey, Grampound (20120389)
Bermondsey, Grampound ie bottom of Old Hill and looking downhill. Date unknown but this was postcard whose stamp was of the period 1918 – 21. The picture is probably earlier, perhaps late 19th or early 20th century. (Crowe)
Manor Tannery 2000 Text
Manor Tannery 2000 Text (20120443)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Discussion about use of site as a Heritage Centre. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000 Text
Manor Tannery 2000 Text (20120442)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Article about use of the site as a Heritage attraction. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000 Text
Manor Tannery 2000 Text (20120441)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Text about by-pass controversy at the time. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000 Text
Manor Tannery 2000 Text (20120440)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Text concerning possible future use of the site. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120439)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Jonathon Croggon in the bark store. This was ground and mixed with water to make tan liquor. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120438)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Jonathon Croggon looking at some of the stored bends of leather. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120437)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Oak bark in store before being used to make tan liquor. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120436)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. ‘Bends’ of leather in the shop to be sold. A bend of leather can be seen in the Grampound with Creed heritage Centre. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120435)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Local MP Matthew Taylor and Councillor John Lobb debate the future of the site during a tour with tannery chiefs. The view is of the tanning pits - now empty. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery before WW2
Manor Tannery before WW2 (20120434)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. A photo from pre-WW2. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120433)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. Traffic outside the tannery site. (Stovell)
Manor Tannery 2000
Manor Tannery 2000 (20120432)
Cornish Guardian November 2000 – at the time the Manor Tannery ceased production. (Stovell)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20115019)
Bermondsey, Old Bridge, Old Smithy etc – date unknown. (Hicks)
Toll House at Grampound
Toll House at Grampound (20115018)
Old Bridge at Grampound showing Police Constable – date unknown – early 20th century? (Hicks)
Oak Harvesting
Oak Harvesting (20110359)
This photo was donated by Geoff Jones, who is a member of the Knowles family of Grampound. It is probably late 19th or early 20th century and the location is thought to be Bosillion Lane. It shows coppiced oak being harvested prior to having its bark stripped to make tanning liquor for the Manor Tannery. (Jones/Knowles)
Cornish Marchers
Cornish Marchers (20112195)
Cornish Marchers passing through Grampound (Paynter)
Old Hill 2002
Old Hill 2002 (20112188)
Old Hill 2002 Glenview See 20112187 (Paynter)
Old Hill 1960s
Old Hill 1960s (20112187)
Old Hill 1960s or 1970s Wool shed on the right used by the Fal Valley Tannery to store sheep hides prior to processing. This tannery was once owned by the Nancarrow family who sold it to the Bennetts in the 1890s. The house 'Westering' was built on the site of the wool shed in the 1980s or 1990s. Glenview still stands and is on the right. (Paynter)
Property sale 1919 map
Property sale 1919 map (20100261)
Plan of Lots 54,60,64,69(scale 1 – 2500) – SW section of village cont. covering Bermondsey & Old Hill. This is a subsection repeat of 0260. (Crow (nee Spry))
Property sale 1919 map
Property sale 1919 map (20100260)
Plan of Lots 6,7,10,15,20,29,31,54,60,64,69 (scale 1 – 2500) – SW section of village including Bermondsey, Old Hill, lower Fore Street& Mill Lane. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Property Sale 1919 map Bermondsey & Old Hill
Property Sale 1919 map Bermondsey & Old Hill (20100254)
Property sale 1919 maps of Grampound. Lots 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,37,38,50,51 Scale 1:1250 west of Grampound Bridge (known as Bermondsey and Old Hill) taken from the Ordnance Survey maps. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Toll House and Bridge c1900
Toll House and Bridge c1900 (20100132)
Newspaper cutting – Toll House and bridge – c1900s. The school and allotments are on the right; just out of shot in the right foreground was a blacksmith’s shop (at the foot of Old Hill). (Hicks)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20100129)
Old bridge looking east. The gatehouse, a former toll booth, is on the left and the allotments are on the right. (Hicks)
R Bennett and Son Tannery
R Bennett and Son Tannery (20100115)
R Bennett and Son’s Tannery – date unknown. The Nancarrow family previously owned this tannery. It stood where Fal Valley Pets now is (2008) – opposite the junction of Old Hill and the A390. The curing pits were in the open yard in front of the present buildings. It was also a slaughterhouse and, unlike Croggons, dealt with sheep skins as well as cow hides. Jack Juleff worked for this tannery for fifty years; Jack was one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (Hicks)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090209)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 1), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key – available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090208)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 2), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key – available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
View of Grampound - painted
View of Grampound - painted (20090063)
General view of Grampound c1900 painted (see black and white photo 20090028). Pictured from the hill behind the modern-day pet store. It was then a tannery and was owned by R Bennett and Son. The road to St Austell, as it climbs the hill through the village, can be seen at the top left. (Hicks)
next