Search results

Property sale catalogue of July 1919
Property sale catalogue of July 1919 (20100225)
This collection consists of the scanned images of the pages of a property sale catalogue of July 1919, together with the maps that allow the location of each of the lots to be determined. The vendor was George Horace Johnstone Esq of Trewithin and it was held at 11.00 am on Saturday 12th July 1919 at the ‘Schools, Grampound’. Front cover of catalogue. This artefact was made available by Leonie Crowe (nee Spry). She believes that it came originally from the possessions of her Aunt and Uncle, Gertrude and Jabez Pollard who lived at Polman (opposite the Town Hall). The marginal notes were probably made by Jabez Pollard and he appears to have signed the top of the inside front page and several other pages. (Crowe (nee Spry))
Town Hall c1912
Town Hall c1912 (20100157)
Grampound Town Hall â€" 1912. This is identical to 0148. (Hicks)
Town Hall Clock 1912
Town Hall Clock 1912 (20100148)
Town Hall clock pictured in 1912. The Vicar of Creed the Rev Charles Henry Vivian donated the clock to the village in 1894 as a farewell gift. This photograph appeared in a newspaper article to mark the clock’s centenary in December 1994. There used to be a door in this elevation of the Town Hall. (Hicks)
Town Hall and Polman's Store
Town Hall and Polman's Store (20100146)
Town Hall and grocer’s shop opposite showing some advertisements eg Lipton’s Tea - c1910 (similar to 0105). The Monkey Puzzle Tree on the left used to grow in the garden of Springfield (Hicks)
WJ White - Grocer
WJ White - Grocer (20100085)
W J White Grocer and General Store. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Town Hall c 1900
Town Hall c 1900 (20091010)
Fore Street looking east from the junction with Pepo Lane. The new Town Hall clock has been installed and the plaque acknowledging this is in place but there is no War Memorial. This places this photo sometime after 1893 but before the end of the great War. The costumes suggest around 1900. The Monkey Puzzle Tree still stands in the garden of Springfield, on the left, and the General Store in the house now called 'Polman' is clearly visible on the right. (Paynter)
Shop Opposite Town Hall - Polman
Shop Opposite Town Hall - Polman (20091009)
Grocers Shop opposite the Town Hall that was closed and converted to a house in the 1930s - now named 'Polman'. Trenance House next door was then covered with creepers (Paynter)
Town Hall c1910
Town Hall c1910 (20090105)
Town Hall c1910. The oil lamp by the wall on the right now stands just inside the gate of the recreation ground. The General Store can be seen on the right below Trenance and Manor House. See photo from same series 20091003. (Hicks)
Trenance house and general store
Trenance house and general store (20090052)
Trenance House and the General Store prior to the conversion of the shop into a house in 1936. Trenance House was then the home of the Methodist Minister. The General Store was also the dropping-off and collection point for parcels brought by bus. The bus stop was immediately outside the shop and bus and rail timetables were displayed on the end-wall of the building. (Hicks)