Search results

Post Office / Hollies Store window display 2013
Post Office / Hollies Store window display 2013 (20149014)
A Heritage Centre display in the Hollies window, March 2013 (Fisher)
Grampound Village Community Spirit
Grampound Village Community Spirit (20112162)
Grampound Village community spirit West Briton article September 2007 Collins, Bill Egerton, Bob Still, Donna Fann, Simon Collins, Mary McKay, Sylvia Lundie, Margaret Lundie, Peter Paynter, Roger Gingell, Jenny (Paynter)
Fore Street c1965
Fore Street c1965 (20100152)
Fore Street looking east â€" c 1965. (Hicks)
Town Hall and Polman's Store
Town Hall and Polman's Store (20100146)
Town Hall and grocer’s shop opposite showing some advertisements eg Lipton’s Tea - c1910 (similar to 0105). The Monkey Puzzle Tree on the left used to grow in the garden of Springfield (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100140)
Fore Street looking east â€" c1910. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100144)
Fore Street looking east towards Town Hall â€" c1910. The ivy-clad building on the left was Mr Miners’ bicycle shop; this building has now (2008) been incorporated into the Dolphin Inn. (Hicks)
Lower Fore Street c 1920s/30s
Lower Fore Street c 1920s/30s (20100143)
Lower Fore Street â€" possibly inter-war. The white house in the foreground is Trevail and below that Pendene. The single storey extension on the side of Pendene was a Barber’s Shop; it has now been demolished. A Chapel used to stand behind these houses; it was also used as a meeting place for the British Legion. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100142)
Lower Fore Street â€" c1910. The Ivy-clad building on the right is Mr Miners’ Cycle Shop. The single storey building below Pendean (the third building below the cycle shop) was a Barbers Shop. (Hicks)
Fore Street c1950s
Fore Street c1950s (20100124)
Fore Street looking east â€" c1950s. The newsagent’s shop (right foreground) was then owned by Mrs Woodman. The previous owner, Mrs Bulley, lived in the house to the left of the shop. The shop that is now Atlantis Foods (to the left of the white cottage on the right) was then a butchers. (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop (20100087)
Fore Street showing Dolphin Inn with Mrs Osborne’s shop next door. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. Mrs Osborne’s shop later became known as ‘Churchill’s Store’. (Hicks)
WJ White - Grocer
WJ White - Grocer (20100085)
W J White Grocer and General Store. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Top of Fore Street
Top of Fore Street (20091012)
Top of Fore Street looking west. The Post Office, in 2009 Hollies Store and Post Office, can be seen on the right. Note the lower level of the road than now on the left. Pedestrians seem untroubled by the possibility of road traffic! The Manor House and Croggon's Tannery office can be seen on the left a little down the hill. (Paynter)
Shop Opposite Town Hall - Polman
Shop Opposite Town Hall - Polman (20091009)
Grocers Shop opposite the Town Hall that was closed and converted to a house in the 1930s - now named 'Polman'. Trenance House next door was then covered with creepers (Paynter)
Hollies Store
Hollies Store (20090180)
Hollies Store and Post Office. An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. In 2008 the Post Office and Shop was still flourishing and being run by Graham and Jenny Gingell. (Oliver)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090207)
Land holdings map of eastern end (part 2) of Fore Street, Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
Map of 1831
Map of 1831 (20090201)
Tracing of a map of Grampound made by Mary Oliver. The original map was drawn by H St Aubyn in 1831 and it shows the ownership/lessees of property at that time. This shows Lower Fore Street on Creed side. (Oliver)
Alleyway behind Churchill's Shop
Alleyway behind Churchill's Shop (20090188)
The Alleyway behind Churchill's Shop. Grampound. An original drawing for the Booklet "Grampound with Creed" published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Churchill's shop and the properties behind it have undergone extensive restoration in 2008. (Oliver)
Churchill's Shop
Churchill's Shop (20090179)
Churchill’s Shop, Grampound. An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Later, Churchill’s Shop was run by Mrs Osborne and subsequently by the Godfreys. It is thought to have closed c1970. The passageway to the right of the shop leads past some very old cottages and then to Pepo Lane. (Oliver)
Whites and Miners shops
Whites and Miners shops (20090082)
Fore Street showing W J White's General Store and Miners' Cycle Shop with the Dolphin in the background. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. W J White's closed in the 1960s and Miners' in the 1970s. (Hicks)
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s
Mrs Osborne's shop 1940s (20090081)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn; the shop uphill from the Dolphin was also a General Store run by Mrs Osborne. Her son, John Osborne, had a coal round and his yard was located on the site now occupied by the closed petrol station near to the bridge. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and stores
Dolphin Inn and stores (20090080)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn, Mr Miners' cycle shop and W J White, Grocer and General Stores, with the Town Hall in background. This was probably taken during World War 2. Mr Miners also ran the blacksmiths forge that was then located in what is now (2008) Tim Lobb's garage. The Miners family also ran a forge on some days of the week at Polmassick. (Hicks)
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934 (20090079)
Shop of E M Bulley in Fore Street, close to the school, in 1934. The shop was later owned by Mrs Woodman and closed in the 1960s. (see also 20090078) (Hicks)
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934
Mrs Bulley's shop 1934 (20090078)
Shop of E M Bulley in Fore Street, close to the school, in 1934. Mrs Bulley ran the shop; she was later re-married â€" to Fred Strongman. A girl called Mary Hoskins worked in the shop; she later married George Juleff, one of the six children of Eva Juleff (nee Mannell) who lived at Trengoffe on Old Hill between the wars. (see also 20090079) (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn 1950s
Dolphin Inn 1950s (20090056)
Main street c1950s showing Dolphin Inn. The building immediately uphill from the Dolphin was then the Post Office; it subsequently moved to Radnor House. The building downhill from the Dolphin was a cycle shop owned by the Miners family. They also ran a blacksmiths business in what is now (2008) Tim Lobb's garage. (Hicks)
Trenance house and general store
Trenance house and general store (20090052)
Trenance House and the General Store prior to the conversion of the shop into a house in 1936. Trenance House was then the home of the Methodist Minister. The General Store was also the dropping-off and collection point for parcels brought by bus. The bus stop was immediately outside the shop and bus and rail timetables were displayed on the end-wall of the building. (Hicks)
Fore street looking West
Fore street looking West (20090038)
Fore street looking west c 1907. A lady is outside Hollies store on the right. Trenance house is visible further down the hill. (Croggon)
Horse on Fore Street
Horse on Fore Street (20090025)
Arthur Brown on his horse in Fore Street near Hollies store. (Croggon)