Search results

Double Decker Bus in Grampound
Double Decker Bus in Grampound (20130526)
A Western National double decker bus in Grampound close to the junction between Fore Street and Pepo Lane. It is thought that this was just post-WW2. The War Memorial Plaque is missing from the Town Hall. (Harris)
Sponsored Cycle Ride
Sponsored Cycle Ride (20112232)
Cycling from John O'Groats to Lands End, raising money for diabetes Tisdale, Dr. John Sherratt, Graham (Paynter)
Waiting for Millennium Photo
Waiting for Millennium Photo (20112210)
Waiting in Fore Street for Millennium photo shoot in the rain. (Paynter)
Penny Farthings 1990s
Penny Farthings 1990s (20112200)
Penny farthings in Fore Street (Paynter)
Town Hall Postcard
Town Hall Postcard (20102115)
Postcard town hall (Paynter)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100150)
Fore Street looking west featuring a group of children â€" c1910. The large tree in the background left still (2008) stands above the phone box by Tim Lobb’s garage. (Hicks)
Town Hall and Polman's Store
Town Hall and Polman's Store (20100146)
Town Hall and grocer’s shop opposite showing some advertisements eg Lipton’s Tea - c1910 (similar to 0105). The Monkey Puzzle Tree on the left used to grow in the garden of Springfield (Hicks)
Fore Street c1910
Fore Street c1910 (20100139)
Fore Street looking west â€" c1910. Note the cobbles rather than a pavement and also the large Monkey Puzzle Tree on the Garden of Springfield (right). (Hicks)
Fore Street c1970
Fore Street c1970 (20100128)
Fore Street looking west â€" c 1970. (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop
Dolphin Inn and Mrs Osborne's Shop (20100087)
Fore Street showing Dolphin Inn with Mrs Osborne’s shop next door. This photograph was probably taken during World War 2. Mrs Osborne’s shop later became known as ‘Churchill’s Store’. (Hicks)
Town Hall c 1900
Town Hall c 1900 (20091010)
Fore Street looking east from the junction with Pepo Lane. The new Town Hall clock has been installed and the plaque acknowledging this is in place but there is no War Memorial. This places this photo sometime after 1893 but before the end of the great War. The costumes suggest around 1900. The Monkey Puzzle Tree still stands in the garden of Springfield, on the left, and the General Store in the house now called 'Polman' is clearly visible on the right. (Paynter)
Springfield House
Springfield House (20091005)
The Town Hall and Springfield House (left) after the removal of the Monkey Puzzle Tree from the front garden of the latter. (Paynter)
Town Hall c1910
Town Hall c1910 (20090105)
Town Hall c1910. The oil lamp by the wall on the right now stands just inside the gate of the recreation ground. The General Store can be seen on the right below Trenance and Manor House. See photo from same series 20091003. (Hicks)
Grampound floral dance
Grampound floral dance (20090089)
The Floral Dance in the 1930s. The Grampound Town Band is being followed by schoolchildren. The band ceased to exist c 1939. (Hicks)
Dolphin Inn and stores
Dolphin Inn and stores (20090080)
Fore Street showing the Dolphin Inn, Mr Miners' cycle shop and W J White, Grocer and General Stores, with the Town Hall in background. This was probably taken during World War 2. Mr Miners also ran the blacksmiths forge that was then located in what is now (2008) Tim Lobb's garage. The Miners family also ran a forge on some days of the week at Polmassick. (Hicks)
Clock tower at sunset
Clock tower at sunset (20090065)
Grampound Town Hall c 1970s. An evening shot in summer showing the splendid laburnum tree that used to grow in the garden of Springfield House. (Hicks)
Fore street 1960s
Fore street 1960s (20090062)
Fore Street Grampound looking east towards Town Hall c1960s. The building with the notice board on the wall immediately uphill from the parked car on the left was the police station which was closed in the mid 1960s. Next up, with the railings, is Lindley and the white house is Springfield. (Hicks)
Watercolour of Town Hall
Watercolour of Town Hall (20090058)
Painting of Grampound Town Hall c1980s. (Hicks)
Miss Mannell's chickens 1966
Miss Mannell's chickens 1966 (20090055)
The site of the modern-day house Kentyre. In 1966, when this photo was taken, the owner of the former General Store, now known as Polman, owned this land and kept chickens on it. The name 'Polman' came from the owners of the General Store Mr Pollard and Miss Mannell. Mr Pollard worked as a salesman for the Croggon's tannery until about 1945. Springfield, Pepo Lane, St Nun's church and Town Hall can be seen in the background. (Hicks)
Springfield and Pepo lane
Springfield and Pepo lane (20090015)
Fore street looking west showing Pepo Lane junction and Springfield. (Paynter)
Fore street west from Pepo lane
Fore street west from Pepo lane (20090014)
Looking west down Fore Street from Pepo Lane junction with A390. Note Monkey Puzzle tree at right edge of picture in garden of 'Springfield'. (Paynter)