Search results

Double Decker Bus in Grampound
Double Decker Bus in Grampound (20130526)
A Western National double decker bus in Grampound close to the junction between Fore Street and Pepo Lane. It is thought that this was just post-WW2. The War Memorial Plaque is missing from the Town Hall. (Harris)
Biddick Family at Caerhayes 1951
Biddick Family at Caerhayes 1951 (20130524)
Information from Annette Thomas nee Biddick. L to R Michael Biddick, Norman Way, George Biddick, Addie Biddick with Annette on her lap, unknown, Nancy Spry with Susan on her lap, Sandra Spry and Charlie Rowe. It was taken in 1951 at Caerhayes. George Biddick would have driven one of the coaches pictured, which belonged to the James Brothers of Grampound Road; George James was running the business at this time. (Thomas nee Biddick)
Grampound Auxiliary Unit in WW2
Grampound Auxiliary Unit in WW2 (20120447)
Grampound Auxiliary Unit WW2. As with the Home Guard, the Auxiliary Units were civilians not regular soldiers but they were trained to a higher level of technical capability and it was envisaged that in the event of an invasion, they would harass and obstruct the enemy advance significantly. They were given professional training in the tactics of guerrilla warfare. They remained very secret during and well beyond the end of the war. The Grampound Auxiliary Unit had the task, in the event of an invasion, of blowing up Grampound Bridge in order to obstruct the movement of enemy troops, transport and heavy armour. They had an operational base at the north end of Trewithen Woods, now known as Barteliver Wood. Featured in this photograph are (l to r) WJ (Jack) Richards of Fore Street, HG (Harold) Cock of Moors View, Cpl SA (Sidney) Honey of Fore Street, WJM (John) Osbourne of Ringmore House, Sgt WJ (William) Knowles of Old Hill, CA (Clem) Knowles of Old Hill, IEE (Ire) Broom of Old Hill. Note that they are all carrying revolvers. More information about the Auxiliary Units can be found at Coleshill Auxiliary Research Team - http://www.coleshillhouse.com/ -. (Hicks)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20115019)
Bermondsey, Old Bridge, Old Smithy etc â€" date unknown. (Hicks)
Toll House at Grampound
Toll House at Grampound (20115018)
Old Bridge at Grampound showing Police Constable â€" date unknown â€" early 20th century? (Hicks)
Grampound Road Station
Grampound Road Station (20115015)
Grampound Road Station â€" date unknown but late 19th/early 20th century? (Hicks)
Grampound Civil Defence Corps 1940s
Grampound Civil Defence Corps 1940s (20110365)
Grampound Civil Defence Corps 1940s. Back row â€" Charlie Ford, Vernon Richards, ? King, Billy James, Donald Mitchell. Front row â€" Ernie Ford, Elvean Blake, Jack Bickle, Sid Honey, Jack Richards. This is probably just after the end of the war. Photograph by Negus, East Hill, St Austell. (Rowe)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939 (20110364)
Grampound Scouts July 15th 1939. Pictured l to r Gerald Goyne, Bill Knowles, Clarence Landry, Richard Teague, George Rowe, Richard Pascoe. (Rowe)
Basil Spry with Austin Van
Basil Spry with Austin Van (20110320)
Basil Spry with Austin van outside the police house opposite the junction to Creed Lane. (Spry)
Bikers Rally
Bikers Rally (20112201)
Bikers rally passing through Grampound (Paynter)
Penny Farthings 1990s
Penny Farthings 1990s (20112200)
Penny farthings in Fore Street (Paynter)
Penny Farthing 1990s
Penny Farthing 1990s (20112199)
Penny farthing, man pushing it up Fore Street, around 1992-1995 (Paynter)
Cornish Marchers
Cornish Marchers (20112195)
Cornish Marchers passing through Grampound (Paynter)
Mini Rally 1990s
Mini Rally 1990s (20112192)
Mini rally Fore Street turning into Creed Lane mid 1990s (Paynter)
Mini Rally 1990s
Mini Rally 1990s (20112191)
Mini rally Fore Street turning into Creed Lane mid 1990s (Paynter)
Grampound Carnival 1994
Grampound Carnival 1994 (20102130)
Grampound Carnival 1994, Bypass float (Paynter)
Mr Tetley's Vintage Car
Mr Tetley's Vintage Car (20102114)
Vintage open top car (looks like a Bentley Speed Six) owned by Mr Tetley outside Manor House Late 1990s or early 2000s (Paynter)
Lorry 99 FCV
Lorry 99 FCV (20102103)
Lorry with driver in field 99 FCV Mid 1970s Juleff, Jack â€" father of Jean Hicks â€" worked at Bennetts yard Photo taken from Golden looking towards Probus (Paynter)
Petrol Station in Grampound c1963
Petrol Station in Grampound c1963 (20102100)
Petrol station in Grampound Mini filling up around 1963 (Paynter)
Petrol Station in Grampound c1950
Petrol Station in Grampound c1950 (20102099)
Petrol station in Grampound Tanker at garage around 1950 Anthony Wheeler from Tregony worked for Mr Dunn (garage owner) (Paynter)
Grampound School c1910
Grampound School c1910 (20102098)
Grampound School Horse and cart Driver and passenger Mr James transport to Truro (on Wednesdays) and St Austell (Saturdays) â€" market days Around 1910 (Paynter)
Old Bridge
Old Bridge (20100129)
Old bridge looking east. The gatehouse, a former toll booth, is on the left and the allotments are on the right. (Hicks)
Dunn's Garage Garden
Dunn's Garage Garden (20100104)
The garden at Dunn’s garage; this disappeared when the road widening began in 1968. (Hicks)
Cornish Mileage Chart
Cornish Mileage Chart (20091039)
Chart giving distances between principal towns in Cornwall, MPs, Hundreds etc. Date unknown. (Parish Council)
The Hollies
The Hollies (20091007)
The Hollies engulfed by a shrub. Looking uphill towards the eastern end of the village. Pre motor traffic probably. (Paynter)
Grampound Bridge 1957
Grampound Bridge 1957 (20091001)
Bottom of Fore Street looking west in 1957, prior to the demolition of the cottages on the right. The board advertising camping referred to the summer camp site owned by the Richards family and now the site of a row of large houses on the left of Mill Lane as one leaves Fore Street. (Paynter)
Land Holdings Map 1831
Land Holdings Map 1831 (20090209)
Land holdings map of western end of Fore Street and Old Hill (part 1), Grampound drawn by Mary Oliver. This is based on an original map drawn in 1831 by H St Aubyn. See appendix 1 to these notes for the key â€" available from Heritage Centre. (Oliver)
The curragh 'St Brendan'
The curragh 'St Brendan' (20090198)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Croggon’s Tannery provided the skins to make Tim Severin’s curragh, ‘St Brendan’, which successfully crossed the Atlantic in 1976. Severin undertook the journey to prove that St Brendan could have crossed the ocean a thousand years before Colombus in such a craft. (Oliver)
Grampound with Creed School
Grampound with Creed School (20090197)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Grampound with Creed Junior and Infants School built in 1869. The present large window under the gabled section was probably installed c1900 to replace a smaller one. The school stands on the line of the road leading to the earlier bridge over the River Fal that was replaced in 1834; ‘Old Hill’ was then the main road to Truro. (Oliver)
Map of 1831
Map of 1831 (20090201)
Tracing of a map of Grampound made by Mary Oliver. The original map was drawn by H St Aubyn in 1831 and it shows the ownership/lessees of property at that time. This shows Lower Fore Street on Creed side. (Oliver)
next